Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Online contributions

Digital mediums which I have used during the module (digital histories) are: Twitter, Studynet, Blogger, Weebly and Tumblr. In assessing the use of these mediums, I feel I have used Twitter and Blogger most frequently. Studynet was useful for uploading my blog domain as it made the blog more accessible for others in the class, but most discussions took place on Twitter. I opened a Tumblr account at the beginning of the semester and intended to use it as a visual blog. However, I only managed to upload a few posts on the topics studied this year. I followed other Tumblrs that displayed historical images and videos which I found interesting. Another aspect of my online contributions was Weebly. My essay regarding ‘Data mining’ helped to produce a website which allowed me to be creative in using widgets and present information interactively.
Additionally, I created a blog to expand on topics covered in class or in relation to them. The blog was presented more informally and was found more appealing to readers; proven by the statistics and comments left. I used blogs from academics to formulate my essay as the information provided me with a better understanding of the historian’s view. My blog was used as a way of publishing work rather than gathering opinions on the posts, I wanted my work online so there was a possibility for it to be viewed internationally.
Discussions were instigated through Twitter where I expressed my opinions concerning some of the debates and comments. Moreover, I used Twitter as way to state immediate thoughts: a miniature way of blogging on what had been discussed in class. Overall I feel throughout the progression of this module, online contributions have assisted my understanding of the methods which are used to present historical information online.              

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.